Friday, March 6, 2009

Our week


We got a call from Levi's school counselor she has set up an appointment to review his IEP plan and make some changes since he still seems to be struggling in a few areas, it seems to be mostly organizational skills, when he does the work AND turns it in he does pretty well, it just appears he does not turn it in, I do not understand doing the work and then not getting credit for it, but trying to get him to follow through is hard! He tests really well when he is not timed, so he is learning and retaining information, I know his dyslexia plays a part in his hard time, but I do not think that is the biggest problem, after many years of working with him when he was younger he actually reads at a higher than grade level, again it just takes him more time. We have always had a hard time getting him extra help because we were told he had to score low in two areas and he never did, it has always come down to he just needs more time. I hope we can come up with a new modified plan that will help him, right now he has a "study class" that is just for him to do homework in and get tutoring if he needs for any of his classess so that has helped some.
We filled the paperwork with the courts in California to get Richard released from guardianship of Krissy, since we have no contact with her, Toni has not allowed her to call or write since we sent her back in May, and since Toni refused to take any of the doctors advice and get her any of the counseling she needs or to even try any type of medication we have decided we cannot continue to be responsible for her, the Army would not let us take her off the insurance without the courts removing guardianship, even though we do not even know where she is for sure now. I think it was a hard decision for Richard, but after he had to call the sheriff just to find out if Krissy got home okay, and numerous emails and phone calls from Toni last year telling him he was nothing to her and even though she lived with us we had no say in her medical well being (she is his step granddaughter) and being told her behavior is normal (lying, stealing, violence, destroying property,inappropriate touching of other kids) and that the doctors do not know what they are talking about, it just became to much, the guardianship states he is responsible if she destroys anything or hurts someone, so we are now waiting for an answer from the courts as to whether or not we will have to appear or they will just terminate his part of the guardinaship. I pray daily that someone will step in and help that child before it is to late, the doctors in Colorado told us we had a very small window of time to get her the intense help she needed if we wanted a good chance of sucess, but again without the support of Toni it became impossible for us to continue. We hope now the courts will step in a force her to get Krissy treated, every kids deserves a chance at the best possible life they can get, I worry that she will not get hers.
On a brighter note I feel like I am back among the living, after feeling so sick, stressed and run down I am finally feeling better, so much to my childrens dismay we will be starting spring cleaning this weekend!

2 comments:

  1. The school system can be so hard on some kids. Cade really struggles because he doesn't fit the norm. He is plenty bright, but getting the school to work to his needs is almost impossible and unfortunately I have had to be a monster mom to get him the help he does have. It can be really stressful, I hope you have better luck with Levi. Have you considered a 504? If you get a doctor to certify that he does have this specific learning disability and needs theses adaptions in his education and then meet with the school counselor, they can fill out a 504 contract which is a legal contract that says the teachers MUST give him more time to complete certain things without late penalties, or ....... whatever you and the counselor think is needful for him. It has helped us some with Cade.

    I am so sorry to hear about Krissy. It is so hard to see someone suffering and not be able to help. I am sure her mother? is in denial. Any faults Krissy may have she may think are hers and accepting that can be pretty difficult. That doesn't change the fact that it is really hurting Krissy and will only hurt her further.

    Glad you are feeling better though. Want to come spring clean my house as well?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ***HUGS*** hang in there... I know it's been an upill battle to get my family members and my ex-husband's family members to see the truth of what's really going on with my 8 year old.

    I'm terrified about the school down here not working with me on her issues. :( Although, I also know I am in no way equipped to homeschool her and handle her right now. Perhaps after Hubby gets off this deployment and we can both sit down and figure out exactly what it is that each of our kids needs. *SIGH*

    Eh, You reminded me, I need to get started on my "spring cleaning." GRRRR...

    ReplyDelete