Monday, June 8, 2009

Home Again

Had a wonderful time on our trip, we took lots of pictures, but when we got home and went to put them into the computer the memory card broke, all the pictures lost! Luckily for us we had put them all on Richards sisters computer before we left Texas so she can send them to us, we will post some once we get them.
We started our trip in California at Richards brother Rusty's house, that was very nice, his wife Astrid is from Germany and they lived there for many years so the kids were raised there, you can still hear Astrid's VERY German accent, she is so fun to listen to, the kids Derrick and Natasha have a bit of an accent but not as strong, if I did not know it I would have never guessed that English was not their first language. They were all as nice as could be to me and I especially enjoyed the kids (not so young kids they are 22 and 23), at one point Natasha said to me...I am so glad you are part of our family, I love you, that about made me cry it was so nice.
From California we flew to Texas (San Antonio area) so I could meet the other brother LeRoy, his wife Janet and their kids Clinton and Samantha. Clinton graduated a couple days before we got there so we missed that, darn, but still got to spend some nice time with them all. Kari and Tony got there the week before us, they are living in the guest house at LeRoys, it is a very nice place, they live in a little town outside of San Antonio called Bandera, it only had 953 people in it, everyone is friendly and it has that small town feel I love so much. We went one morning to a open air market they have in the park, it was fun, I bought a wonderful Native American necklace ($60.00, on sale for $5.00) I so love a good deal! Also picked up some stuff to bring home to the kids. Then Rich and I drove in to see the Alamo, that was fun, lots of history there, it is pretty wild to see it right in the middle of town, with all these tall buildings all around it, there was lots more we would have liked to do, but this was a quick trip so we will have to do the rest on our next trip.
We got home and got up this morning, up to the door comes two Army guys, now as I have said before that is not to heart stopping as long as Richard is home, NOT something you want if he isn't. Turns out they did not get his message checking back in from Leave last night so they were just making sure everything was okay and letting him know the Sergeant Major wanted to see him. He wanted to give him an update on our place on the housing list it seems that even though the first Sergeant, the Sergeant Major and the Garrison Commander have approved our moving up the list at housing since it is now run by civilians they now have to wait for approval from the guy in charge there. I myself am having a problem understanding how the Army has to convince a civilian to put a active duty soldier in the Army into housing on a Army Post!?! Whatever, they still say we should be moving the first part of July so now we are just waiting to hear for sure which housing area we are moving in to, no matter where the house will be bigger so we are happy about it, we defiantly need more space!

4 comments:

  1. It is so nice to meet family, when they like you and you like them!!! Besides what isn't for them to like about you - you are very likable. Glad you had a good time. Meagan too was impressed by the Alamo right in the middle of town. She is back in Utah while he goes to jump school, and then they will be heading to Delaware where he will be stationed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The housing thing sounds like a major headache.
    I loved seeing the Alamo about 4 years ago, it was awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you had fun on your trip. I'm also glad your pictures were on your sister in law's computer. I know first hand how sad it is to loose picutres. I got in contact with Kaleb on Facebook. He seems to be doing well. I didn't know he had two kids now. How's Nichol doing? I don't think I've talked to her since Tyler's wedding. Also, I don't know if Kris has mentioned this but the family reunion is the first Saturday in August.

    ReplyDelete