Sunday, June 21, 2009

marriage retreat

We are home from our weekend away, we had a really good time, the whole weekend retreat was set up and run by Major(Chaplain)Manley, who is the Chaplain who married us, anyhow it was a marriage retreat with emphasis on TBI's and PTSD etc. since there are many marriages within the Army that deal with these added stresses. We had classes on all these things and also watched some video's called laugh your way to a happy marriage, I would so recommend anyone who is married either watch the video's or read the books, it was so insightful as to how men and women process information differently and we "hear" things differently. It had lots of tips on understanding each other and having a successful marriage. Truly it was one of the better "marriage" things I have seen in all my school classes etc.
We stayed at the Sheraton, very nice hotel across from both the Kansas City Royals(baseball) and Kansas City Chiefs(football) teams stadiums, we could see both from our room. The hotel had a lovely water park so during our free time on Saturday we played there for awhile. This is me in our room
Here is Richard relaxing before classes on Friday night.
View of both stadiums from our window, the Royals were playing so you can see all the people in the stands.
On our way home we decided to drive through Fort Leavenworth, neither of us had been there and it is just a few miles out of Kansas City. Of course this is the Post with the famous Leavenworth federal prison where all the military (and some federal) prisoners are housed. It is the only Post we have been on that actually took our ID cards and scanned them into the system as well, so they do appear to have excellent security. The picture above is the side view of the yard. We were reading about the prison, the original one was called the castle and was built in the 1800's and then later torn down and this new one put up. Way back then they still flogged prisoners, used ball and chains, and brained their faces with a D for deserter. They have since then become more "humane" and their motto now is our mission is your future, they encourage visitors to improve moral, have lots of rehabilitation courses in the hopes of setting them up to succeed upon release.
This is the front of the prison, the USDB is United States Disiplinary Barracks.
The Post itself was very nice, similiar to Fort Riley in the old brick building, very green from the moisture here and lots of trees.
It is nice to be home now, it is nice to get away, but I really end up missing the kids alot after a day or so.
To all of you Dad's out there, Happy Fathers Day, and to all of you lucky enough to still have you Fathers give them an extra hug and make sure to tell them you love them...it is just so important.
Samantha I did get to read the post I missed, I am glad you pointed it out to me, I left you a comment there.
Kris tell me what her symtoms are I will give it my best shot at a diagnosis now, I of course can not give you medical advise or be 100% sure if I am right but I do like to try, I got all of Krissy's diagnoses correct before we got them from the doctor, and maybe I can point you in the right direction for help dealig with things for you all and for her, it is hard I know.
To all of you who left such nice comments on my Post about my Dad, I love you all and your kind words ment the world to me.

1 comment:

  1. I'll send you an e-mail later with her symptoms. I am glad you had a good time. It is so nice to get away at times. I am like you. I can't believe how I miss the kids when I am gone, and then when I get home and 2 minutes later they are at it again I think - what was I thinking. I know it is old, but the book men are from mars and women are from venus was an excellent book on how the sexes deal and respond to things differently. It was a real eye opener for Shawn and I, and probably saved our marriage.

    ReplyDelete