Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Memories

So today was my birthday and it got me to thinking about my favorite memories over the years of my birthday, not presents over the years I have received wonderful gifts, but I was thinking more about the things that you remember long after the gifts are put away.
When I was little my Mom always made a big deal over holidays, Christmas, Halloween etc. and we loved them all, but our birthdays were our own day filled with wonderfully wrapped gifts, great homemade cakes, always reflecting whatever I liked that year, as I got older my cakes were always her famous cheesecake because it was and is my favorite.
Bonnie always remembering what day my birthday was on (it was the anniversary of the day she started at IRS)
The year I turned 7 my Mom was gone and I was staying with my Grandma in Morgan she put together a party for me with my cousins and all the kids in the neighborhood, I loved that.
Dad for years got me a new doll for my birthday and Christmas, and it was always so fun to see what one I got each new year (yes I know that is a gift, but it is the memory of each new one that is so special)
My recent message from my cousin telling me she still remembers my birthday every year and thinks of me when it comes along.
My dear friend Becky calling me to tell my her daughter Kandace had been born on my birthday (and the very next year my Levi was born on her birthday)
The yearly phone calls or text messages from my family saying Happy Birthday
Mom calling to "sing" me Happy Birthday
My Aunt June makes gorgeous cakes, and when I was little I got a doll cake every year, the stand up kind, I loved seeing what it would look like each year
The hand made card my kids made/make me when they were little
Dancing with Perry the first time, he was a vet from the VFW, I got to know him well over the years, but before I did he asked me if he could have a birthday dance the year I turned 39, he used to teach at some "Fred Astaire" or something like that school and dances beautifully.
The phone call I got from Richard's sister Kari before I had ever met her, but she still called to say Happy Birthday we love you.
Going with GrandmaNana and Aunt June shopping and to lunch when it was our birthday we got to pick where we went to lunch, I always chose the Tiffin Room at ZCMI
And the most touching memory so far was last year, it was a hard time we had just brought Dad home from the hospital we knew he was not doing well we were all worried and tired, anyway I had written off my birthday I was not feeling like any type of celebration I was sitting next to Dad's bed and in came Bonnie with a cake, candles and all my family that was there singing me Happy Birthday, what I found so touching was that in the midst of all that was going on, she found time to sneak away and bring me a cake and in the middle of all our heartache she took the time to make a special moment for me.
And last of all, the fact that I was able to spend my birthday with my Dad last year, I will never get to do that again, so that will stay in my heart forever.

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you have good memories of your special day. Families make days like this so wonderful. My mom and I love the tiffin room at ZCMI. And we always stopped afterwards to get some sea foam from the chocolate shop. It is almost impossible to find the stuff now. What a nice post.

    ReplyDelete