Saturday, April 18, 2009

Brought a stranger home

Yesterday I was at work, trying to get done and out of here so I could get to the hospital in Salina to spend some time with Richard before I had to come back to work this morning, up to the counter comes this poor kid (I say kid but in his 20's I would guess) he told me he was being ETS'd out of the Army, his flight was the next morning, all his friends were out in the field so he had no where to stay, could he stay in the airport for the night, well we are not a 24 hour airport, we lock up after the last flight, when I told him that he just looked so distraught, he was telling me he thought he would have to stay outside and would he get in trouble, well I felt bad for him so I asked him a few questions just to get a feel for him, then I told him my husband was stationed at Fort Riley as well and he could come home with me and stay on my couch for the night, then ride back with me in the morning to catch his flight. Now as Richard says the Army takes care of their own, so of course we would do whatever we could for him, and Richard would have expected me to bring him home....IF he were home, but he was in the hospital, however Steve has been here helping with the kids while I have been busy runnning between work and going to the doctor and hospital with Richard, so he was going to be there. I would never have let someone I did not know home with the kids and I if we had been alone.
Anyhow he turned out to be a very nice kid, home from Iraq not long ago, he was hit with a roadside bomb while he was there, blew up his knee and hurt his hand, he is okay now, could have been much worse! Stevie made dinner while I was at the hospital and she said he was so thrilled with that, he had some of his rations in his bag he thought he was going to have to eat, he said he had not had a home cooked meal in 3 years, so it was great for him. When he thanked me again this morning, I simply told him "pay it forward" someday you can help someone else who needs it.

1 comment:

  1. You are really kind. I don't know if I would have been able to do that. Hopefully I would. I bet he really appreciated that. Hope Richard is feeling better.

    ReplyDelete